Monday, January 7, 2008

The Grapes of Mrs. Rath

I enjoyed this nostalgic story. I can picture Mockensturm as a student probably not caring much for his school, thinking how run down, old, out of date it is. It wasn't until he was "looking back" that he thought of the structure as amazing. Now few things are made of only wood, much less have three sets of mahogany doors.

Other uses of effective narration that I enjoyed are when he talks of wandering the old halls "conjuring up old voices" and "putting old friends in their seats". My old high school is torn down but the Jr. High still exists. I know exactly what Mockensturm is saying when I walk those halls. At the end of one hall is the legendary football coach's room. He favored leaning back in his chair until it rested on the blackboard ledge. One day a student moved his desk and chair forward. I was two floors below in gym when I heard him crash to the floor and knew exactly what had happened.

Sweetly tied into the now fond school memories, Mockensturm tells us of one certain teacher turning him on to reading. He has never forgotten that teacher simply because he continues to enjoy books. The story makes me want to go to the library and check out more of Steinbeck's, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this story also but didn't write about it. I have read a lot of Steinbeck's books and they are great. Great Response!!! Nicky Bolt

Erica said...

I read this story as well and I really enjoyed it. Awesome job!