Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jan.9 class discussion

In class we combined a Jr. Miss pageant and Beauty pageant even though they are different--or at least stress the differences. In small towns it used to be 'whoever's parents were the most influential' daughter won. Judges were brought in from out of the area to help get away from that concept. With Jr. Miss pageants stressing scholarships, it sometimes seems as if the girl with the highest IQ wins; even though talent, poise, fitness and personality are also supposed to be factors. Years ago, I participated in Jr. Miss. I am from a small town, with unknown parents, who, when asked why was I trying out replied, "because there are no sports for girls, I only have brothers who play sports and this is a way for me to get recognition". One of the 'moms' on the Jr. Miss committee who was supposed to be helping the contestants prepare for the pageant loudly commented to everyone in our final practice that I "walk like a farmer plowing the field". She was my boyfriend's mother! I never won one individual award; but I was crowned Jr. Miss. And I still think I walk like a farmer plowing the field.

As for what I want as a mother for my daughters is, as someone else already said, is Happiness.
I think I have a good open relationship with them. I know I have embarrassed them at times like mentioned in "The Thrill of Victory...The Agony of Parents". I don't think I ever embarrassed them at a sporting event because I was usually the coach or referee. But I remember requests to drop them off a block from school, and maybe I'd get a cheek peck for a kiss then. I often run out of the house as I am---hair a mess, clothes dirty, etc. I am getting off the subject.

I want my daughters to be happy with themselves, happy in their lifes, happy with the choices they have made and are going to make. I have expressed to them that they only get to live once, do your best at everything you do. It is OK to be different. It is OK to take a chance. It is OK to be wrong, just learn from it. Enjoy your life.

1 comment:

C. said...

Thank God Mom's like you still exist!

And although I always asked my mom to drop me off a little bit away from school, or acted embarrassed when she yelled "I love you!" to me through the car window, I secretly appreciated it.