Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Tyranny of the Majority

This essay started off personal and interesting but it became way too long and off the original subject. Guinier's brownie story was cute. Her four year old Nikolas made an intelligent remark for his age, which we were reminded about extensively. The good example of the prom at Brother Rice was current. But some how from there, Guinier went way back to colonists, her apparent hero James Madison and British monarchy. I could have worked with this example, too; until the author got off on democratic fair play and her own personal issues. I felt she was whining about losing some nomination ("many others condemend me as antidemocratic") which got Guinier off onto Blacks and voting forever and ever. Later she is self congratulating herself "I state this explicitly...", "I propose these approaches..". I, for one, especially got tired of Guinier seeming to self defend and exploit what she has written.

I don't think I ever could have enjoyed this overwritten self political article, but I think if it started with the anxt and maybe softened up somewhere with the early personal stories, I would be more apt to look at Guinier's view and possibly not be so critical of her "I, I, I..."

No comments: