Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Response to Juliet Schor

I don't really understand 'consumerism'. In this response I thought we were discussing about our (United States) poor recylcing. If we are such big consumers and wasters (those were staggering numbers and assumptions Taylor gave us) recycling should be better. I don't think we will get far in reducing consuming. We keep growing and wanting to get better. Why should we want to get smaller and worse, the opposite? I do want to touch on recycling. There is no reason to throw away tin cans, pop cans, milk jugs when it is easy to separate them for Colville's recycling center. Most people don't want to take the time to remove labels or rinse. It doesn't take that long! What I am disappointed with in the Colville center is not also taking more plastics. Even if they don't have the resources to recycling water, juice or pop bottles surely there is a site in Spokane. They haul the crushed aluminum somewhere, take ALL the plastics. I don't have the numbers with me at the time, but anyone who does not recyle should look at resources as to why it is so important.

Taylor touched on some of Schor's reasonings, but mostly stayed close to the recycling issue. She usually agrees with Schor or restates Schor's ideas. Taylor does add some of her own facts and assumptions. I agree with needing a diferent name other than "politics of consumption". We do not need more politics!

I don't understand Taylor's comment about "no support structure". People need to learn to budget. Just because your neighbor owns a boat does not mean you must have one too. Yes, we would all like nice, fun objects; but first decide if you having a boat is more important than money. It comes down to wants and necessities, it's easy to make the correct decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m with you 100 percent on the recycling. I think the Colville recycling center needs to make some improvements, so that we can recycle more items. I even recycle the pop tops off the cans; I send them to a family member in Utah who turns them in to one of the children’s hospitals down there. They are supposed to help needy families pay for tests and places to stay for the parents, any other bills they acquire.
I commented on this article also, people are wasteful and money greedy. I don’t think many people know what a budget is, or if they do they just don’t care. As a parent I find budgeting is the only way to go. I look at families around me and wonder how they can work at the same place as my husband, have children, buy a speed boat, cars/trucks, and their children have all the gaming systems, and fashion clothes, etc... I don’t understand it, but I don’t care I am happy with my family and the way we are.